Friday, March 13, 2009

Elements of Effective Independent Language Learning

5. Self Knowledge

Lately, I've been part of several conversations on strengthening language weaknesses. Most especially, I've been thinking about the role that self knowledge plays in developing as a second language learner. We all have bad little habits, and it's almost as if we want to cuddle them close. We like our weaknesses the way they are; we've grown accustomed to them and they no longer distress us. We fall into patterns that nurse our weaknesses and accentuate our strengths. Vocabulary memorization is a strength of mine, but grammar and fluency are much weaker, so instead of bolstering those very essential parts of language, I keep focus on how many words I can remember and how I wonder what each word means when I'm reading, still deciphering meaning from familiar words rather than a sentence and paragraph level understanding. My speaking skills also steadily deteriorate.

In my TESOL class, we talked about how a knowledge of our learning strengths and weaknesses can be found out through various diagnostic quizzes, maybe even some that show us whether we are right or left-brained, how confident and assertive we are, or how we respond to others. I always thought that it was okay to have these varying strengths and just know that you add yours to a group while someone else brings what they have. This is a sound way of thinking, however, as independent language learners we must constantly strive to do activities in our weak areas and self correct and self diagnose. It does sting a bit, but we will be better for our cross-training experiences. Has anyone ever had the experience where they were forced into a high stakes situation and found their weakness being made a strength? What helped and how did it happen?

If you would like to follow my blog and share what you know about language, follow the link on the right!

No comments: