Saturday, March 28, 2009

Elements of Effective Independent Language Learning

6. Guides

Alright, so we might argue that I have been using "guides" all along in setting up this series. To illustrate what I mean, let me tell about an experience I had this past week. I was in a class on the theory of language and basic linguistic principles and most of the class speaks a different second language.

We all switched our various dictionaries and our instructor gave us a sentence to translate into the language we had been assigned. I and Anthony, a speaker of Bulgarian, searched through our spanish dictionary and found many of the word elements, but without any real idea of the structure of Spanish or a knowledge of conjugation patterns, we came up with a laughable rendition--almost incomprehensible. Everyone laughingly switched dictionaries back and speakers familiar with each language corrected teh translation. I was reather chagrined and impressed when I saw how one Italian speaker and a Hungarian speaker managed the Japanese--many mistakes that made it unnavigable but fairly impressive. I realized then how necessary and essential the twin tools of grammar and vocabulary are and how vocabulary study lends itself well to independent study. Anyone with a small knowledge of pronunciation can memorize lists of words in a given language. This knowledge can help them with listening comprehension but without grammar, distinguishing word functions and parts can be difficult.

Grammar study requires a guide or some kind of structured study method. I am going to spend the next week and a half researching independent grammar study and the texts that are available. I used the term "guide" instead of "text" because the best guide is living. Even a good grammar book speaks to us, in my case, in teh voice of a slight female Japanese doctor of language, or a missionary giving us tasks and methods to perform and gives us a structure and climate. Does this go against my claim of independent second language learning? I don't know, but I will keep posting my findings.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

It's okay that you're straying from "independent" language learning. If you're learning all alone, then what's the point? You learn languages so that you can speak them.
In two years I learned fluent Portuguese because I was using it to talk to people. After three years of Spanish study in high school I still can't hold an intelligent conversation in Spanish, because I never had people to practice with.
Practice makes all the difference.