Saturday, March 21, 2009

Independent Study

So now I'm looking at independent study programs. I've decided that I need some more guidance to keep me progressing and give me some deadlines for my learning. I intend to apply the principles I've been discussing for the past 2 months on this blog so we'll see how they hold up. I was thinking about different kinds of online learning and how many many language learning softwares and programs there are and how one should go about choosing among them. The independent study program I am looking at is very traditional with submissions online but a regular textbook. An ideal situation would be to have classmates to communicate with but I think I can use my own advice about finding someone to speak with in the post on human resources. Any advice on what works well? It'll be good for me to discipline myself and my study time and have a reason to guard my language study time from other intrusions

I also finished a podcast project about my experience as a tutor for an ELL. I don't know if the program I am using supports Adobe Captivate, but it was fun to speak, write and think about my experience. I'll post it but please don't judge--it's in ist rough draft stages still. I also find another volunteering opportunity at a local elementary school. As a second language speaker there are so many opportunites to be useful. Here's my challenge--let's all find some way we can be of service to someone with our second language even if you're fairly new at it.

No comments: